Steak and cabbage soup
- 1 small head of young cabbage,quartered and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 800 ml chicken stock
- 200 g steak, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup double cream
- salt,pepper and sugar to taste
- In a medium pot, heat the oil and add steak. Cook until lightly bowned and remove it ion the plate.
- Add the chopped onions to the pot and saute until they start to turn translucent. Add potatoes, carrot, garlic and shredded cabbage and cook, stirring from time to time, until vegetable start to soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, red pepper powder and oregano, bring to just boiling and reduce the heat to low. Cook on low until vegetables are tender, for 15-20 minutes.
- As the soup is getting finished, add steak slices and double cream. Bring almost to the boil, season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste and serve.